- Does It Hurt Children to Measure Pandemic Learning Loss?by Dana Goldstein on April 9, 2021 at 11:14 am
Research shows many young children have fallen behind in reading and math. But some educators are worried about stigmatizing an entire generation.
- Abel Prize: Avi Wigderson, László Lovász Win for Work That Bridged Math and Computer Scienceby Kenneth Chang on March 22, 2021 at 4:52 pm
Avi Wigderson and László Lovász will share the annual prize that aims to be something like the Nobel for mathematics.
- New World Map Tries to Fix Distorted Views of Earthby Joshua Sokol on March 9, 2021 at 5:18 am
You’re going to need some double-sided tape.
- Triangulating Math, Mozart and ‘Moby-Dick’by Siobhan Roberts on March 9, 2021 at 5:14 am
Sarah Hart, the first woman to hold England’s distinguished Gresham professorship of geometry, explores the intersections of music, literature and mathematics.
- The Latest Wrinkle in Crumple Theoryby Siobhan Roberts on March 8, 2021 at 2:18 pm
From studies of “geometric frustration,” scientists learn how paper folds under pressure.
- ¿Puede este nuevo mapa arreglar nuestra visión distorsionada del mundo?by Joshua Sokol on March 3, 2021 at 2:00 pm
Un novedoso mapamundi es más fiel a las proporciones de las regiones de la Tierra y amenaza con destronar a los mapas convencionales.
- Leo Goodman, Who Transformed Sociology With Stats, Dies at 92by Clay Risen on February 18, 2021 at 9:31 pm
He developed tools for researchers to analyze categorical data, revolutionizing the study of poverty, income inequality and social mobility. He died of Covid-19.
- Isadore Singer, Who Bridged a Gulf From Math to Physics, Dies at 96by Julie Rehmeyer on February 12, 2021 at 11:17 pm
His unifying disparate theoretical realms helped revolutionize our understanding of the most basic structure of the universe.
- The Lasting Lessons of John Conway’s Game of Lifeby Siobhan Roberts on December 28, 2020 at 2:18 pm
Fifty years on, the mathematician’s best known (and, to him, least favorite) creation confirms that “uncertainty is the only certainty.”
- ‘The Pandemic Is a Prisoner’s Dilemma Game’by Siobhan Roberts on December 20, 2020 at 2:55 pm
Using game theory, researchers modeled two ways of prioritizing vaccinations, to see which saved more lives.