- Earth from Space: Vancouver, Canadaby Marc Boucher on February 26, 2021 at 9:06 pm
The Copernicus Sentinel-2 mission takes us over Vancouver – the third largest city in Canada….
- ExoMars Images The Mars Perseverance Landing Siteby Keith Cowing on February 26, 2021 at 2:38 am
The ESA-Roscosmos Trace Gas Orbiter has spotted NASA’s Mars 2020 Perseverance rover, along with its parachute and back shell, heat shield and descent stage, in the Jezero Crater region of Mars….
- Comet Makes A Pit Stop Near Jupiter’s Asteroidsby Keith Cowing on February 26, 2021 at 2:36 am
After traveling several billion miles toward the Sun, a wayward young comet-like object orbiting among the giant planets has found a temporary parking place along the way….
- Imaging Space Debris In High Resolutionby Keith Cowing on February 26, 2021 at 2:33 am
Litter is not only a problem on Earth. According to NASA, there are currently millions of pieces of space junk in the range of altitudes from 200 to 2,000 kilometers above the Earth’s surface, which is known as low Earth…
- NASA Study Finds Reduced African Grassland Fires Contribute to Short-lived Air Quality Improvementsby Keith Cowing on February 26, 2021 at 2:31 am
NASA researchers have found a small but unexpected decrease in air pollution over some parts of Africa despite growing use of fossil fuels in many countries due to development and economic growth….
- Hubble Views a Baby Star’s Tantrumsby Keith Cowing on February 26, 2021 at 2:29 am
Herbig-Haro objects are some of the rarer sights in the night sky, taking the form of thin spindly jets of matter floating among the surrounding gas and stars….
- Parker Solar Probe Offers Stunning View of Venusby Keith Cowing on February 25, 2021 at 3:03 am
NASA’s Parker Solar Probe captured stunning views of Venus during its close flyby of the planet in July 2020….
- Apollo Rock Samples Capture Key Moments In The Moon’s Early Historyby Keith Cowing on February 25, 2021 at 2:58 am
Volcanic rock samples collected during NASA’s Apollo missions bear the isotopic signature of key events in the early evolution of the Moon, a new analysis found….
- Evidence Of Dynamic Seasonal Activity On A Martian Sand Duneby Keith Cowing on February 25, 2021 at 2:51 am
A Southwest Research Institute® (SwRI®) scientist examined 11 Mars years of image data to understand the seasonal processes that create linear gullies on the slopes of the megadune in the Russell crater on Mars….
- NASA Missions Make Unprecedented Map of Sun’s Magnetic Fieldby Keith Cowing on February 25, 2021 at 2:49 am
For decades after its discovery, observers could only see the solar chromosphere for a few fleeting moments: during a total solar eclipse, when a bright red glow ringed the Moon’s silhouette….
- Supermassive Black Holes Could Form From Dark Matterby Keith Cowing on February 25, 2021 at 2:43 am
A new theoretical study has proposed a novel mechanism for the creation of supermassive black holes from dark matter….
- NASA Space Station On-Orbit Status 22 February, 2021 – Cygnus Berthedby Marc Boucher on February 24, 2021 at 2:43 pm
The Northrop Grumman Cygnus cargo spacecraft was berthed to the International Space Station’s Earth-facing port of the Unity module at 7:16 a.m. EST Monday morning and subsequently bolted into place….
- Cygnus Cargo Droid Approaches ISSby Keith Cowing on February 24, 2021 at 5:17 am
The Cygnus space freighter from Northrop Grumman approaches the International Space Station as both spacecraft were orbiting 262 miles above the Syria-Iraq border….
- Mount Ararat Viewed From Orbitby Keith Cowing on February 24, 2021 at 5:15 am
This oblique view of Mount Ararat in eastern Turkey was taken from the International Space Station as it orbited 262 miles above Iran just south of the Caspian Sea…
- Preparing MISSE For Flightby Keith Cowing on February 24, 2021 at 5:10 am
Christina Khodada, a research scientist working with the Exploration Research and Technology Programs, prepares containers Feb. 11, 2021, at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida for a Materials International Space Station Experiment (MISSE)….