- World’s oldest known wild bird has another chick at age of 70on March 5, 2021 at 5:24 pm
Wisdom is believed to have had more than 30 chicks in her life so far, and several partners.
- National Trust maps out climate threats to historic placeson March 5, 2021 at 7:02 am
The map will help to plan interventions such as tree planting and peat bog restoration.
- Covid and bird flu: The other lockdown putting livelihoods at riskon March 5, 2021 at 6:09 am
Dealing with a Covid lockdown is tough – now poultry farmers face a second viral challenge.
- International Women’s Day: Illustrating the Covid-19 pandemicon March 5, 2021 at 2:15 am
These three artists turn complex research into easy to digest information to help fight coronavirus.
- Government has no climate change plan – MPson March 5, 2021 at 1:09 am
Two reports from MPs cast doubt on the government’s approach to meeting its climate change goals.
- The Himalayan hazards nobody is monitoringon March 5, 2021 at 12:59 am
Retreating Himalayan glaciers can become hazardous but such dangers are not being monitored, experts say.
- Facebook rainforest ads: Inquiry ordered into Amazon land saleson March 5, 2021 at 12:01 am
A Supreme Court judge in Brazil orders an investigation following the BBC’s report into the trade.
- Lab-grown wood could be future of furnitureon March 4, 2021 at 5:59 pm
American scientists are working on a plan to “grow” wood in a laboratory without sunlight or soil.
- Food waste: Amount thrown away totals 900 million tonneson March 4, 2021 at 3:14 pm
Every year, 23 million truckloads of food go straight into the waste bin, according to the UN.
- UK found guilty of dirty air breach by EU courton March 4, 2021 at 2:33 pm
The UK is found guilty of “systematically and persistently” breaching air pollution limits.
- What is Elon Musk’s Starship?on March 4, 2021 at 10:25 am
Elon Musk’s company SpaceX is building a vehicle that could transform space travel.
- Climate change: Will China take a ‘great leap’ to a greener economy?on March 4, 2021 at 7:49 am
A new five-year plan may signal a switch from fossil fuels, but economic worries could limit change.
- Then and now: A ‘megadrought’ in Californiaon March 4, 2021 at 1:16 am
See how extreme weather has affected an vital reservoir in California.
- Life discovered deep beneath an Antarctic ice sheet ‘shouldn’t be there’on March 4, 2021 at 12:02 am
Researchers hoping to collect mud samples deep beneath an Antarctic ice sheet were amazed to discover small creatures living in the dark, freezing water.
- UK will no longer use bee-harming pesticideon March 3, 2021 at 10:35 am
The pesticide was given temporary clearance to be used earlier this year because of a virus threat.
- Mars: Nasa’s Perseverance rover sends stunning imageson March 3, 2021 at 12:17 am
Amazing images as Nasa’s Perseverance rover lands on Mars and seeks signs of past microbial life.
- The ‘LitterCam’ that’s watching youon March 3, 2021 at 12:03 am
AI software can now match footage of motorists throwing rubbish with their car’s number plate and issue an automatic fine .
- Glow-in-the-dark sharks found off New Zealand coaston March 2, 2021 at 10:17 pm
The sharks live in deep waters and are thought to use light as a form of camouflage.
- Human origins: ‘Little Foot’ fossil’s big journey out of Africaon March 2, 2021 at 8:00 am
How the priceless skull of an ancient ancestor was brought to the UK from South Africa for study.
- Documenting emperor penguins in Antarcticaon March 2, 2021 at 12:09 am
Stefan Christmann spent almost 15 months in Antarctica alongside 10,000 emperor penguins.
- Biden urged to back AI weapons to counter China and Russia threatson March 1, 2021 at 5:54 pm
A long-awaited report says the US president should ignore calls for a ban on autonomous weapons.
- Radar images capture new Antarctic mega-icebergon March 1, 2021 at 1:37 pm
Spacecraft that can see through cloud get their first good look at the frozen block known as A74.
- UK meteor spotted above Midsomer Norton and Bathon March 1, 2021 at 9:11 am
Social media users reported seeing a ‘flash’ with a ‘tail of orange light’ in the night sky.
- Letter demands action over ‘UK nature in freefall’on March 1, 2021 at 8:56 am
Wildlife experts urge the prime minister to step up action on the loss of species in the UK.
- Cumbria coal mine plan ‘damaging PM’s reputation’on March 1, 2021 at 6:04 am
Foreign ambassadors say Boris Johnson’s tacit support for the mine prompts accusations of hypocrisy.
- How Bitcoin’s vast energy use could burst its bubbleon February 27, 2021 at 12:22 am
Could the cryptocurrency’s huge electricity consumption also sink it?
- Why Greenpeace is dropping huge boulders into the seaon February 26, 2021 at 12:47 am
Fishing community leaders say Greenpeace’s action is dangerous and illegal.
- Most pheasants sold for food ‘contain lead shot’on February 24, 2021 at 12:58 am
Scientists say a pledge by shooting groups to phase out lead shot has had no detectable effect.
- Hayley Arceneaux: Cancer survivor joins first all-civilian space missionon February 22, 2021 at 9:39 pm
The SpaceX mission will make Hayley Arceneaux the first person with a prosthesis to visit space.
- Video shows Perseverance rover’s dramatic Mars landingon February 22, 2021 at 7:40 pm
The Perseverance robot is seen touching down on the Red Planet in a whirl of dust and grit.
- Yungblud ‘honoured’ to have David Bowie cover played on Marson February 19, 2021 at 3:55 pm
Nasa told the singer they would play his cover of David Bowie’s Life On Mars as they landed